Friday, February 18, 2011

And So it Begins!

I have finally reached my destination!
Yes, after a 21 hr flight from Toronto to Detroit to Tokyo and then Seoul I can actually say plane food is not that bad. Time went by quite slow on the plane and because of the time zones, it was always sunny. Nothing too much happend, it was quite boring to say the least. However, I did meet one fella from the U.S. who was going over to South Korea to work on a ship in Busan which is on the south end of South Korea. What kept me busy were the many movies being played, the window and sudoku. Man, it was wild!

Currently, it is saturday the 19th at 10:58am.
My first night in Korea was not too exciting. I played 'Find the Hostel' with myself for an hour before being asked if I needed help. The girl helped me find the hostel and informed me of some neat things around Seoul. She was very helpful and even helped me carry my luggage up the stairs before she departed. After a quick, kind gesture of diving me her business card (a sign of kindness and respect) she left the hostel and continued on with her night. Upon my arrival, I had the opportunity to meet two friends also doing an exchange to South Korea. They are both Americans named Austin and Tree.
The next day, I was feeling fine and so were they. We decided to head out and discover Seoul for the day.
In the morning, we wondered all over, commenting the compact roads, many displays of graffiti and food. We were hungry.
We decided to ask two koreans if they could help us. And, of course, they did. Actually one Korean actually led the way for us to a large department store. We decided to buy her breakfast so she could tell us about different things like language, food, life, etc in Korea. She then lead the way to a subway station and found the route we needed to go on to get back to the hostel before leaving us. We then decided to go get ALIEN registration  done which was then followed by finding a market. Namdaemun, ("Great South Gate") which is the oldest market in Korea, was jam packed. There were an assortment of food and clothing shops for real cheap. Tree decided to buy a coat for 45000 KRW. I was going to buy some shoes. Unfortunatley, my sizes are hard to come by, who knew?
After the market we headed back to the hostel for some downtime before heading out for some food and beer. An Australian, named Ivette joined us for the night. We had some good meat on a stick and alot of cheap beer. It wasn't a wild night, but interesting to say the least. Tree and Austin could not keep up with me and Ivette so they decided to head back. We then continued drinking and found another friend named Marcoli. She was a Japanese student studying english in Korea for a month. After asking her is she wanted to join us in the street, we headed to another bar to continue. We talked about many things throughout the night and had a few laughs about each others life. She then called up her other friends and we headed to yet another bar. I met a few others, had another beer (on them) and then, it was about time to head back to the hostel.  All and all a great introduction to South Korea.

Life here is Seoul is quite different then what I have experienced in Canada. Maybe its just the growing excitement that I have had or the interest Koreans have for foreigners. Whatever it is, I like it and am excited to see more.

P.S. I am unable to load photos right now but as soon as I can, I will. Also, sorry if this post seems a little boring. I could have went into more depth but to tell you the truth I am just a little tired. Future posts will, for sure, be more interesting.
Chow!

No comments:

Post a Comment