Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Entering a schedule

Hey everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well back in Canada.
Its been a little over a month now. So far I have visited stadiums, markets, mountains, bars, clubs, people, restaurants, buddhist temples, courses Itawon (foreigners area of Seoul), Hongdae (massive student area of Seoul), Daejeon (different city), hot springs, amusement parks, a shooting range, Cupcake cafe, Cat cafe, I have decorated a cake, and have begun to try my skills at cooking Korean dishes, and other things that I just cannot think of at this moment. I have made many new friends both foreigners and locals and have, and am still having, an amazing time here in Seoul.
However, I cant seem to forget that my life here in Seoul, at Yonsei University is slowly turning into a constant weekly rhythem of the same things. I go to class, I eat, I study, I work out, I have a meal with a friend, I study, I go to jazzfeel, I have lunch with a friend, I go to class, I sleep, ... And so it goes. My days of exploring has narrowed down to a merely 2-3 days every week, where I still wonder about courses and the things I will need to do throughout the upcoming week.
Now, dont let me fool you. I am having an amazing time here in South Korea and I would never regret my decision for coming here. Although, I am slightly wondering if I could do any more for my enjoyment here.
I feel I have seen alot and done alot around Seoul. I need to get out!
I need to see more of South Korea rather than just the largest city within this amazing country.
So, here is a task I am proposing to all of you who read this, think of one thing in Seoul or South Korea more generally that you would like to do. Give me the idea, and I will construct a bucket list of all your ideas. Along with my ideas, I feel we could make a pretty long list that will keep my spirits adventurous for the next three months!
I promise I will do every task whether it be sky diving or finding the largest tree in all of South Korea. Give me your ideas and we can both take part in this wicked adventure!

So, enough with my plea.

Besides all of that, I have done some pretty cool things that I'm sure all of you want to see. I left you guys just before I headed on over to Daejeon.
Daejeon was okay. It was a cheap two hour bus ride over and the seats were grand. The bus literally seemed that only famous people would ride it. There was so much space and leg room. The buses here in Seoul is deffiently going to be one thing I miss when I come back to Canada.
Anyways, when we got there, we had no idea where to go. Around us there were lots of Love motels but that was it. No real lively, fun place. I could only guess what this area was for... can you?
So we went to go get some dinner and it was dead all over. Maybe it had to do with the fact that we got there around 11pm.
After dinner, we asked like 14 taxis if they could take us to a busier part but they did not understand us... Of course!
Then, finally the 15th taxi came around and we just went in and gestured a student's area to him.
He took us to a student area which was busy but nothing compared to Seoul. Since we all had our bags with us, we could not really go out drinking so we tried to find a hotel, and we did!
It was another love motel, and it was just by fluke that he allowed us all to stay in the same room. No other hotel was allowing us.
So after we get in, we get unpacked, wow about the room and the sketchiness of it and then decide to go get some Soju and Korean Rice Wine. So we do that and for the rest of the night just drink, listen to music and play some games within our room. We all ended up heading to bed around 6am just before the sun came up.
We were all on the same bed and there were four of us = crowded.

The next day we headed to a spa (jimjilbang) which contained the water from hotsprings. It was amazing; just so relaxing and warm. After getting over the fact that I had to take a bath with like 30-50 other naked men, I quite liked the experience. You would just go bath hopping pretty much. They were all different temperatures. The only odd thing I have to say about it was that everyone starred at me and the other male friend I went with because we were not Korean. It was odd but after like 15min. of that, you get used to it and they get used to you.

After the bathing section, we went down to the communal area (they gave of clothes) where they had different rooms with ifferent temperatures and T.Vs and a cafe and fish that nibbled on your toes. Me and Cristian got down there before the girls came down so he headed on over to the fish. It was really ticklish.
When the girls came down, we headed into a sleeping room and had a nap for about 2 hours then decided to find a place to stay for the night, eat and then go drinking.

The next day, we headed on to an amusement park that had alot of science themes. It was a neat little place, there were rides, museums, people singing and what not. Although, there had to be only like 30 people in the whole entire park. It seemed rather ghostly.
At the end of the day, we headed back to the bus station and made our way back home!
Daejeon was a fun experience, although it was nothing like Seoul. I would have liked it if I had known a little more about the place. But thats the great things about life. You learn from your mistakes!
Unfortunately, I forgot my camera :( so I have no pictures. One friend did bring a camera so I will upload those photos next time I post!.


A group of us from residence decided to go on an outing to find a cupcake cafe = YUM!, but expensive

Me and my language exchange partner with here friend when out to decorate a cake. We were given this and told to go crazy!

So I did

This is what the cake looked like after we had decorated it

One night two Koreans an a friend Joe went out bowling. I lost every game but had the most strikes... How does this work?

Every year Yonsei has this large event in May called AKARAKA
What it is, is just a large festival that lasts all day full of cheering and spiried fun. National celebrities come to sing and everyone just has a great time.
Last week, Younsei and Korea Unviversity (their rival) got together to do an orientation to AKARAKA
The outside ampitheatre was packed full with people from Yonsei and Korea University all screaming. The people in the centre are the cheering temas for both schools
(Yonsei = Blue, Korea University = Red)

Take a closer look.
This was just an orientation. The actual event is in May
I could not stay too long for this because I had to go to a club orientation for Jazzfell
Thats right, I passed the auditions!

After the orientation, Some friends and I decided it would be good to head out for dinner. It was a friday and and we wanted to let loose.
Best way to do that is with Korean BBQ and Soju
The waitress joined in on our picture

Some unfortunatley cannot handle the Korean lifestyle
Cristian and Priscilla

These are some Koreans we had met. Look at everyone else in behind hiding. haha
Cristian, Priscilla and Christine

On saturday, Jazzfeel held an MT
An MT (membership training) is a time for groups to spend one night together away from the hustle and bustle of every day life. Usually what happens is that the group heads far out to a rural area and stays in this one room. Games, and drinking usually goes on. Its a time to get acquained with one another and create fun memories.
MT are very popular is South Korea

This was the taxi ride to our headquarters. It was packed
Im in the far back seat

This is what the room had looked like

Before heading to the rural area. We were split into groups and asked to get ingredients to make a traditional Korean meal. This is what the five of us had bought. We made these fried Korean pancake things = Great!

My team

Some sweet members from Jazzfeel

This was one of the games we had played. We had to hold on to our legs and ry to knowck oneanother over

An actual Korean BBQ for dinner!
   

1 comment:

  1. Dont forget to either post, e-mail, or facebook ideas to me for 'our' bucket list!!

    ReplyDelete