Friday, April 8, 2011

A New Beginning!

Hey friends!

Hope everyone is swell today.
Because my school is not. Currently what is happening, and what has been happening all semester, is that the workers (cleaners) are on strike. Here in South Korea the minimum wage is somewhere around $4 to $5 which is not that much when it comes to paying for yourself, your family and your future -- as some of you, if not all, should know.
The problem is that Yonsei is not willing to raise their payment because technically thay are not employed by Yonsei; they are employed by some cleaning business. The dilemma here is that, should they be arguing with the business or the school... hmm.
Anyways, here is what I have to deal with, as well as all the other hundreds of university students and professors that visit the campus on a routine basis.

Yum! lol

Anyways, back to what really matters.
As you guys may have or may not have remembered, I have started to fall into a schedule. One that has me pinned to a constant weekly plan. And, if some of you know me well enough, I am not good with plans. Im always late, I forget and most importantly, I just feel life is too short for a tight schedule of daily crap that you 'have' to do. So to make it more interesting, I asked you guys for some input. Some cool neat ideas that may boost me out of this situation. Some of you delivered, and oh man did you deliver it well!
I got lots of cool suggestions that I will start to mark off on my Seoul adventure immediately.
Here is what I got!

So, what do you think?
This weekend, I did not do too much. I stayed in friday night. Had practice on saturday. Went out saturday night and then.... I WENT TO GYEONGBOKGUNG PALACE. This palace is the main and the largest palace of the five palaces I had previously told you about. It was constructed in 1394 and then reconstructed in 186.. something. It was then destroyed again, along with all the other palaces and other venues, by the invading Japanese. However, as you will soon see, what was left is still there and the grounds are constantly evolving to what they used to be.

We saw these guys but we were asked to not go over = Top Secret

The entrance


Inside one of the buildings

A group of school children stopped me in my tracks and asked me questions on who I was, where I was from, why I was in Seoul, etc. It was pretty awsome. Here they are. I told them to show their pipes!

Painting in the heads living quarters?

Touristy stuff

Traditional living quarters

I met this older lady. I asked her to take a photo of me infront of this structure and then we talked for a while. The interesting thing though was that we could not understand each others language but we still managed to become pals.
After we were done talking, she gave me a token or hers that she made. It was a little pouch, I gave it to a friend though (Christine, who came with us) because she thought that we were together.
We just laughed and awkwardly smiled as she made her way home

Looking from the outside

Besides the palace, I didnt do really and cultural stuff. I went out with a few Koreans I have met in class for lunch and what not.
Here are the  rest of the photos for this week :)

Me and my roomey went hiking behinf Yonsei. Can you find me?

This is the trail we climbed

We found a hidden buddhists temple. This building was in the centre of the area

This statue was there too

As well as this turtle

Last friday I went to a Korean musical called Miso. It is pretty much Korea's version of Romeo and Juliet although nobody dies and they guy and the girl end up being together.
At the end of the musical, They took two people out of the audience (me and someone else) and informed us that we had to do 3 activities. One of them was to, with the stick I have, balance a spinning disk on it and put it under my leg.
Needless to say, I passed with flying colours!
At the end, they gave me the stick!

The girls were the bad people, The rebels in the musical

Saturday I had 4 hour practice and then we went out to eat!

This is what it looked like when we were done

Saturday night, some of us went out for dinner, then dessert, then partying. This dessert was amazing. Its thinly chipped ice shards with fruit and ice cream on top.
= amazing!

After the palace, Me and Christine decided to walk to EDAE, the women's university shopping area (faster way to get to Yonsei) and saw these amazing candied strawberries. The literally melted in your mouth after you chomped down on the hardened candy.
So good!

Club eating some good chicken before practice.

After practice on tuesday at 10:30pm

:)(:



No comments:

Post a Comment